Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A lit thought for Mothers- Is being a mummy a bother?

My feeling for this topic is as intensed as what I feel about breastfeeding. So, if anyone is going to get insulted, my advanced apologies.

Hubby and I was out with a relation the other day, and we somehow fallen into this conversation.

Relation: "I really don't understand you guys, bringing your infant together with you everywhere you go. Not mah-fan meh? Every outing is like a long distance trip, the diaper bag, the stroller, the water, etc. Fuss over baby before the trip, fuss during the trip, fuss after the trip. If me, I moh-kam-hou-hei (don't care enough to bother). Why don't you just leave the baby with your maid at home?"

Me: "Oh, we like to spend as much time with her as possible. And we don't think it is a bother."

Relation: "Aiyah, why go through all these mah-fan woh? You cannot concentrate fully on your shopping, we have to look for a baby friendly place to eat and the food is not good, and see, now your daughter is making a fuss and you have to sooth her. Such a bother."

Me: "It's OK, we are fine. You continue with your food, we will just carry her a little."

Relation: "You can see why I don't like to take my kids out with me. They get in the way of everything. Eat also no peace."

I was rather exasperated by her comments. She is a mother herself, how can she feel so little need to spend time with her toddlers. Or maybe, I am a new mummy, and I am finding all these very exciting. Well, of course taking care of a child is sometimes difficult. But, I love the feeling, the feeling of being a mother, of having an influence in how my child grows up, and every bother that comes together with it.

I love the way Zoe senses my presence, by sight or by smell, and bully me into carrying her all the time, and she never cease to amaze me on how perceptive she is.

I love to watch Zoe sleeps, shedding tears of joy whenever I see a funny smirk or stretch herself in her sleep. And I can watch her sleep for hours.

I love to change her diaper, which is very often, while she wails away, but lifted her buttocks for me anyway.

I love her when she wee on me during diaper change, and caught me by surprise.

I love her when she makes a fuss because she is sleepy and gets crankier than usual.

I love her when she disturb me during our outing, and I have to experiment with everything to sooth her.

I love her when she interupt my meals just because she suddenly wants to be held.

I love her when she got into a temper and bite me hard when I feed her.

I love her when she wee on my fresh clothing while I carry her in hers cloth nappy.

I love her when she makes a fuss after her bath because she wants to stay and play in the water.

I love to drag along half the house with me, just so that Zoe and I can enjoy a 15-minute outing.

I love to get into an inflexible schedule just because Zoe needs feeding and sleep throughout the day.

I love to be awaken by her in the middle of the night simply because, I have a baby.

I love to rush home to see her, although tired and restless from work, just so that I can spend time with her.

I love to see her tug at the safety belt of her car seat and complain at times, just so that I know she is safely snuggled.

I love to see my parents fussing over Zoe, and eventually spoilling her with affection, simply because she is their first grandkid and brought them immense joy since the day she was born.

I love to take Zoe with me on holiday, knowing that we will not see as much or have much flexibility or rest, but rejoice in her company.

I love her when she drools on my shirt and in the process, makes herself wet all over.

I love her when she spits milk, making me panic and worried.

I love to hear that I have put on weight from childbirth, knowing that having Zoe has changed me not only emotionally but physically.

I love to sacrifice the option of good food just because I would rather go to a baby friendly eating place with Zoe.

I love to give up my indulgence so that I can channel my funds to lavish everything on Zoe instead.

There are more than a thousand reasons to love being a mummy, and the bothers are a huge part of it, and I wouldn't expect any less.

2 comments:

M said...

so touch.. i totally agreed with u!

PrincessZoe said...

Hahha.. Being a mom never easy!
Cheers to Moms!